If you are thinking about studying abroad, I am sure you are probably having a whirlwind of emotions. Moving to a new country can be very exciting but also very overwhelming and scary. Trust me I know. I have been there.
I remember very clearly the first day I arrived in the U.S. It was August 15th of 2013. I was moving from Spain to Ohio for college and I had never visited the United States before. I was terrified because I did not know anything about the American culture, I did not speak the language well, what my college campus looked like, the phone plan I would have, or even where to buy school supplies.
Even though I was scared, I decided to take the opportunity and make the best of it. Studying abroad was the best experience of my life. While studying abroad, I traveled around the United States and saw beautiful landmarks. I met wonderful people from around the world who became just like family. I learned an entirely new language. I also met my husband, who is an American football coach. We welcomed our daughter in 2020 and we are currently expecting our second child. I simply cannot imagine my life without them and, if I would have never studied abroad in the U.S, I would have never met my husband and had my daughter. How crazy is that?!
Benefits of Studying Abroad in Spain
There are so many benefits to studying abroad. From the people you meet to the towns, cities, and villages you see, and the delicious food you eat, your experience will be unforgettable.
- You will meet students from around the world that will become lifelong friends.
- You will see incredible monuments and buildings, as Spain is home to some of the most stunning architecture in Europe.
- You will eat incredible food. Spanish food is one of the best cuisines around the world and you will be able to finally try the famous “paella”.
- You will become more independent since you will be truly alone in a new setting.
- You will learn many new things about yourself, especially how strong and adaptable you can be.
- It will make you more competitive in the job market. New studies have shown that studying abroad makes people more employable.
- You will learn a new language as you will be exposed to it daily.
Most importantly, studying abroad will teach you how to get out of your comfort zone. You will learn how to be comfortable being uncomfortable.
Ask yourself one question: If you are given the opportunity to study abroad, what do you lose by not doing it? The doors of your home will always be open, and you can always return home. But if you never go and explore new places, you will never know what is on the other side of that door.
The Ultimate Study Abroad in Spain Guide
I have created the ultimate study abroad in Spain guide. This guide will help you to prepare for this new journey. This eBook includes all the important things to know before studying abroad. From what documents are required to study abroad in Spain, what methods of transportation are the best option for students, how to get from the airport to your new home, and much more!